Saturday, May 8, 2010

May 7, 2101. Homily, May 11, 2010.

John 16:5-11

Jesus said to His disciples: "Now I am going to the one who sent me, and not one of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts. But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go. for if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation: sin, because they do not believe in me; righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me; condemnation because the ruler of this world has been condemned."
The Gospel of the Lord.

Last Tuesday's Gospel:
Jesus said to His disciples: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. You heard me tell you, 'I am going away and I will come back to you.' * * * * I will no longer speak much with you, for the ruler of the world is coming. He has no power over me, but the world must know that I love the Father and that I do just as the Father has commanded me."

Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. * * * for the ruler of the world is coming * * * Who is "the ruler of the world"? The "ruler of the world" is Satan. The "ruler of the world" is Lucifer.

John Paul II: I would have liked to stay with you longer, but I find consolation in the words of Jesus. He tells us the Advocate, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my Name will teach you everything and remind you of all that I have said to you. The Father sends His Spirit of trust and love into the world and the Spirit guides us in the way of peace. Therefore, Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid, dear brothers.

In John’s gospel the Paraclete is the continued presence of Jesus. Henceforth it is through the Spirit that we know Jesus. Every teacher, sooner or later, has to stand back. In other words, you have to learn from your own experience, and that is what a good teacher always sends you back to in the end.

This Spirit, Jesus said, “will prove the world wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment.” Richard Rohr’s comment on this: “What you thought was sin was only your own guilt, what you thought was righteousness was self-righteousness, what you thought was justice was only your instinct for vengeance.” These distinctions can only be learned from the inside.



No comments:

Post a Comment