Tuesday, May 11, 2010

May 11, Homily, Ascension Thursday, May 13, 2010

Luke 24: 46-53

Jesus said to His Disciples: "Thus it is written that the Christ would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day and that repentance, for the forgiveness of sins, would be preached in his name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. And behold I am sending the promise of my Father upon you; but stay in the city until you are clothed with power on high."
Then he led them out as far as Bethany, raised his hands, and blessed them. As he blessed them he parted from them and was taken up to heaven. They did him homage and then returned to Jerusalem with great joy, and they were continually in the temple praising God.
The Gospel of the Lord.

Tuesday's Gospel, Jesus says "Now I am going to the one who sent me." And Sunday's Gospel,
Jesus says, "and the word you hear is not mine but that of the Father who sent me."

Ex. 3:4-6 God called to him [Moses] out of the [burning] bush, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am." Then he said, "Come no closer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground." He said further, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face for he was afraid to look at God.

Mt. 3:16-17: And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly, the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased."

Mk. 1:10-11: And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my Son, the Beloved, with you I am well pleased."

Mt. 17:1-7 Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly there appeared to them, Moses and Elijah, talking with him. Then Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah." While he was still talking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud, a voice said, "This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!" When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, "Get up and do not be afraid." And when they looked up they saw no one except Jesus himself alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment