Friday, April 30, 2010

April 30, 2010, Homily, Tuesday, May 4, 2010

John 14:27-31a

Jesus said to His disciple: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. You heard me tell you, 'I am going away and I will come back to you.' If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe. I will no longer speak much with you, for the ruler of the world is coming. He has no power over me, but the world must know that I love the Father and that I do just as the Father has commanded me."
The Gospel of the Lord.

Sean Hannity starts his daily 3-hour radio program, "Do not let your hearts be troubled."

The Jews of old (and still today) say, “Shalom!” – which means, “Peace!” This fine greeting too can become superficial unless we see some depth of God in it. It was not just a vague wish for the other person, “Don’t worry, be happy!” It was a prayer for full harmony with God – for salvation. Here is the original text in which Jews were told to greet and bless one another with ‘Peace’: “Thus you shall bless the Israelites: You shall say to them, ‘The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace” (Numbers 6:22-26). This is a wonderful blessing, worth learning by heart, and using bravely on special occasions (instead of “Good luck!”). It is a prayer for “the peace that the world cannot give.”

‘The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face to shine upon you,
and be gracious to you;
the Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
and give you peace”
(Numbers 6:22-26).

A greeting must have God in it.

Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. * * * for the ruler of the world is coming * * * Who is "the ruler of the world"? The "ruler of the world" is Satan. The "ruler of the world" is Lucifer.

John Paul II: I would have liked to stay with you longer, but I find consolation in the words of Jesus. He tells us the Advocate, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my Name will teach you everything and remind you of all that I have said to you. The Father sends His Spirit of trust and love into the world and the Spirit guides us in the way of peace. Therefore, Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid, dear brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment