Wednesday, April 14, 2010

April 14, 2010. Homily, April 20, 2010.

John 6:30-35

The crowd said to Jesus: "What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? What can you do? Our ancestors ate manna in the desert, as it is written:
He gave them bread from heaven to eat."
So Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."
So they said to Jesus, "Sir, give us this bread always." Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst."
The Gospel of the Lord.

The crowd asked Jesus for a sign (What sign can you do) and Jesus had just given them the sign, the feeding of the thousands from the multiplication of the loaves and the fishes and in response to that sign the people wanted to make Jesus king.

Jesus uses the phrase "I am" as in "I am the bread of life", an echo of God’s ‘I am’ in Exodus 3:14. Jesus himself is God’s present tense, God’s ‘I am’.

Pope Saint Pius X, who appears on the stained glass window in the back of this Church; Pius X was the Pope who pressed for the frequent acceptance of the Eucharist because Holy Communion is the shortest and safest way to Heaven.

Pope Pius X took as his motto as Pope, "to renew all things in Christ." He was the first pope beatified as a saint sine the 15th century. As Pope, he compiled the first book of Canon Law and wrote the first catechism of the Church.

He was humble: "I was born poor. I have lived poor. I expect to die poor." He did not use his power as Pope to advance his family: His brother remained a postal clerk; his favorite nephew remained a parish priest; his three sisters lived close by in near poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment