Monday, November 12, 2012

November 12, 2012. Homily, November 13, 2012

Memorial, Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini, first United States citizen to be canonized, born in Lombardy, Italy, in 1850, youngest of 13 children, founded the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart in 1880, founded many schools, hospitals and orphanages; in 1887 with the encouragement of Pope Leo XII, she emigrated to the United States, where in the ensuing 28 years she founded some 67 schools, hospitals and orphanages in the United States and South America (Argentina, Brazil and Nicaragua). She died December 22, 1917 in Chicago, was canonized July 7, 1946. Her body is enshrined in Cabrini Chapel situated on the northern tip of Manhattan at the entrance to Fort Tryon Park. Her mosaic likeness is in the left side of the Shrine of Charity, on the north wall of the Church upstairs


Luke 17:7-10.

Jesus said to the Apostles: "Who among you would say to your servant who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field. 'Come here immediately and take your place at table'? Would he rather say to him, 'Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink. You may eat and drink when I am finished'? Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded? So should it be with you. When you have done all you have been commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.'"
The Gospel of the Lord.

We are reminded of the story in the synagogue. The rabbi comes into synagogue, kneels down, places his head on the floor, and says, "O God, forgive me for I am an unprofitable servant." Then the cantor, sees this, kneels down, places his head on the floor, and says, "O God, forgive me for I am an unprofitable servant." Then the elected head of the congregation sees the other two, kneels down, places his head on the floor, and says, "O God, forgive me, for I am an unprofitable servant." And the janitor standing in the back, seeing the three, kneels down, places his head on the floor, and says, "O God, forgive me, for I am an unprofitable servant." And the rabbi looks up and addresses his friends, "Look who is calling himself an unprofitable servant."

This parable makes clear: even if we live our lives perfectly from a human perspective, still we have no claim on God for the reward of heaven. Salvation comes from God not from humankind. It is God who saves us not we who save ourselves. Salvation is a gift freely bestowed on mankind because of God's great love for us.

My son got a job for Morgan Stanley Assets Management. Every night he would come home late, 8 PM, 9 PM, 11 PM, and every night I would be happy for I knew that the later they would have him work, the more they appreciated his work at the firm and that he would be rewarded. It was when, or if, he came home at 4 PM or 5 PM that I would worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment