Monday, November 1, 2010

November 2, 1010. Homily, November 2, 2010.

All Souls' Day

John 6:37-40

Jesus said to the crowds: "Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me, And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day."
The Gospel of the Lord.

The above Gospel follows "my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

Will we each be saved? Catholic doctrine is: If we do not turn our back on God, then God will raise us up with Him on the last day. We will live with Him eternally in heaven.

Some early theologians, such as Clement of Alexandria and Origen in the 3rd-century, Gregory of Nyssa in the 4th, St Isaac the Syrian the 7th, held that all will in fact be saved. St Augustine came out strongly against it.

Hans Urs von Balthasar, one of the greatest of 20th-century theologians, wrote a book entitled ‘Dare We Hope That All Will Be Saved?’ His answer, in brief, was that we not only dare to hope, but we are obliged to hope, that all will be saved. “[after the parable of the lost sheep] It is not the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost” (Mt 18:14).


No comments:

Post a Comment