Friday, May 8, 2009

May 8, 2009. Homily, May 9, 2009.

John 14: 7-14.

Jesus said to his disciples: "If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him." Philip said to Jesus, "Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Do you now believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe because of the works themselves. Amen, amen, I say to  you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it."
The Gospel of the Lord.

Philip said to Jesus, "Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. 

The first day of class, the grammar school teacher decided to test for manual dexterity so she handed out sheets of paper and pencils to her class, and when, she had their attention, asked them each to draw a picture. Some just sat ther, but Harry bent over and started to work feverishly. The teacher went over. "Harry, what are you drawing?" "I am drawing a picture of God." "But no one knows what God looks like." Harry kept working, "They will when I am finished." In the words of Jesus from today's Gospel,  "[B]elieve that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. Believe me [when I say] that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe because of the works themselves." When we witness to the Lord, when we do the works of the Lord, others see the Lord in us. "[W]hoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these. . . . And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son."


John 14:1 "Do no let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. [2] In my Father's house, there are many dwelling places[mansions]. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you. [3] . . . so that where I am, there you may be also. [4] Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" [6] Jesus said to him, "I am the the way [to live as Jesus lived because He is the fullest. most perfect expression of God's love], and the truth [by living His life perfectly, submitting Himself to God the Father in all things, Jesus is the embodiment of truth: what it is to be truly human], and the life [Jesus through His life and example showed us how to live as God's children]. No one comes to the Father except through me. [7] If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him."

John 10:30.  The Father and I are one.

John's Gospel passages of the past few days talk about the relation between Jesus the Son and the Father. The Father and I are one. Two persons in one God; with the Holy Spirit, [the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are] three persons in one God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment